Jump to Main Content
- Robertson, R. Meldrum; Cease, Arianne J.; Simpson, Stephen J.
- Comparative biochemistry and physiology 2019 v.229 pp. 81-92
- Chortoicetes terminifera; adults; air; breeding; hypoxia; legs; males; octopamine; rain; rearing; risk; social behavior; stress response; swarms
- ... Optimal breeding conditions for locust swarms often include heavy rainfall and flooding, exposing individuals to the risk of immersion and anoxia. We investigated anoxia tolerance in solitarious and gregarious adults of the Australian Plague Locust, Chortoicetes terminifera, by measuring the time to enter an anoxic coma after submersion in water, the time for recovery of ventilation and the abilit ...
- Mendez-Sanchez, J.F.; Burggren, W.W.
- Comparative biochemistry and physiology 2019 v.229 pp. 45-51
- adults; air; blood; females; fish; habitats; hemoglobin; males; oxygen; pH
- ... The Siamese fighting fish, Betta splendens, and the blue gourami, Trichopodus trichopterus, are two closely related air-breathing anabantoid fishes. B. splendens is a sedentary facultative air breather frequenting often hypoxic waters, while T. trichopterus is a more active obligatory air-breather inhabiting better oxygenated waters. Despite their close taxonomic relationship, previous studies hav ...