Jump to Main Content
- Harley, Eric H.; de Waal, Margaretha; Murray, Shane; O’Ryan, Colleen
- Conservation genetics 2016 v.17 no.6 pp. 1285-1291
- Bayesian theory; Ceratotherium simum ssp. cottoni; Ceratotherium simum ssp. simum; endangered species; extinction; high-throughput nucleotide sequencing; mitochondria; mitochondrial DNA; mitochondrial genome; monophyly; nucleotide sequences
- ... The probable extinction of the last confirmed population of northern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum cottoni) in the world has ignited debate regarding its species status compared to the southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum). Previous studies, based on partial mitochondrial sequences, have reported conflicting results regarding the species status of the northern white rhinoce ...
- Querejeta, Marina; González-Esteban, Jorge; Gómez, Asunción; Fernández-González, Angel; Aymerich, Pere; Gosálbez, Joaquim; Escoda, Lídia; Igea, Javier; Castresana, Jose
- Conservation genetics 2016 v.17 no.6 pp. 1333-1344
- Bayesian theory; extinction; genetic variation; genomics; heterozygosity; loci; mammals; mitochondria; mountains; population structure; principal component analysis; single nucleotide polymorphism; trees; Iberian Peninsula
- ... The Pyrenean desman (Galemys pyrenaicus) is a small semi-aquatic mammal endemic to the Iberian Peninsula. The species has recently experienced a strong decline and some of its populations are severely threatened with extinction. To help in the preservation of this species, it is critical to understand its genetic structure and main evolutionary units, as these may have specific local adaptations a ...