Jump to Main Content
- Martin, Tara G.; Nally, Simon; Burbidge, Andrew A.; Arnall, Sophie; Garnett, Stephen T.; Hayward, Matt W.; Lumsden, Linda F.; Menkhorst, Peter; McDonald‐Madden, Eve; Possingham, Hugh P.
- Conservation letters 2012 v.5 no.4 pp. 274-280
- Pipistrellus; decision making; extinction; governance; leadership; mammals; population dynamics; Australia
- ... Failure to act quickly on evidence of rapid population decline has led to the first mammal extinction in Australia in the last 50 years, the Christmas Island Pipistrelle (Pipistrellus murrayi). The fate of another iconic species, the migratory Orange‐bellied Parrot (Neophema chrysogaster), monitored intensively for over 20 years, hangs in the balance. To inform future conservation management and d ...
- Gilroy, James J.; Virzi, Thomas; Boulton, Rebecca L.; Lockwood, Julie L.
- Conservation letters 2012 v.5 no.4 pp. 313-322
- case studies; economic costs; extinction; risk; threatened species
- ... The detection of Allee effects is critical in assessing extinction risk, but is extremely difficult when sampling small, low‐density populations. Failure to detect true Allee effects could lead to overoptimistic assessments of threat status, as well as the development of inappropriate species recovery plans. We outline a broadly applicable approach for evaluating Allee effect likelihood in analyse ...