Jump to Main Content
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon; Jeong, Dana; Kim, Hyunsook; Seo, Kun-Ho
- Critical reviews in food science and nutrition 2019 v.59 no.11 pp. 1782-1793
- antimicrobial properties; bacteria; colonizing ability; gastrointestinal system; high-throughput nucleotide sequencing; intestinal microorganisms; kefir; mycobiota; probiotics; yeasts
- ... Kefir is a natural complex fermented milk product containing more than 50 species of probiotic bacteria and yeast, and has been demonstrated to have multiple properties conferring health benefits, including antiobesity, anti-hepatic steatosis, antioxidative, antiallergenic, antitumor, anti-inflammatory, cholesterol-lowering, constipation-alleviating, and antimicrobial properties. To better underst ...
- Oak, Sophia J.; Jha, Rajesh
- Critical reviews in food science and nutrition 2019 v.59 no.11 pp. 1675-1683
- bacteria; beta-galactosidase; blood serum; cholesterol; dairy products; enzyme activity; human population; immune response; intestinal microorganisms; intestines; lactose; lactose intolerance; probiotics; signs and symptoms (animals and humans); systematic review; yeasts
- ... Over 60 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose due to low levels of lactase enzyme activity. Probiotics are live bacteria or yeast that supplements the gastrointestinal flora. Studies have shown that probiotics exhibit various health beneficial properties such as improvement of intestinal health, enhancement of the immune responses, and reduction of serum cholester ...