Jump to Main Content
- Richard M. Engeman; Jason Terry; Leif R. Stephens; Kenneth S. Gruver
- Crop protection 2018 v.112 pp. 252-256
- corn; cotton; feral animals; peanuts; planting; professionals; rowcrops; swine; Alabama
- ... Feral swine damage to corn, cotton and peanut crops at planting was assessed for 46 fields in Alabama. Damage was assessed on the basis of prevalence among fields and the quantity lost within each damaged field. Feral swine control by professionals dedicated to that task appeared to greatly reduce the prevalence of damage among fields, as the 14 fields which were within the areas where professiona ...
- J.J. Holderieath; D.L. Pendell; J.C. Hadrich; A. Anderson; C. Slootmaker; E. Harper; S.A. Shwiff
- Crop protection 2018 v.112 pp. 63-66
- Sus scrofa; consumer surplus; corn; crop damage; crops; feral animals; models; peanuts; prices; rice; soybeans; swine; wheat; Southeastern United States
- ... Feral swine (also called wild pigs; Sus scrofa Linnaeus) are known to cause damage to crops among other types of property damage. This research addresses the lack of economic welfare estimates of wild pig imposed crop damages in the literature by estimating the value of wild pig removal with respect to five crops in nine southern U.S. states. An equilibrium displacement model was used to assess th ...