Jump to Main Content
- Sukumaran, Sivakumar; Li, Xin; Li, Xianran; Zhu, Chengsong; Bai, Guihua; Perumal, Ramasamy; Tuinstra, Mitchell R.; Prasad, P.V. Vara; Mitchell, Sharon E.; Tesso, Tesfaye T.; Yu, Jianming
- Crop science 2016 v.56 no.4 pp. 1429-1442
- Sorghum (Poaceae); agronomic traits; breeding; chlorophyll; chromosome mapping; chromosomes; flowering; fluorescence; food quality; genetic distance; genetic improvement; genetic markers; genotype-phenotype correlation; genotyping; grain yield; hybrids; inbred lines; leaf area; leaves; phenotype; phenotypic variation; quantitative trait loci; single nucleotide polymorphism
- ... Molecular breeding can complement traditional breeding approaches to achieve genetic gains in a more efficient way. In the present study, genetic mapping was conducted in a sorghum recombinant inbred line (RIL) population developed from Tx436 (a non-stay-green high food quality inbred) × 00MN7645 (a stay-green high yield inbred) and evaluated in eight environments (location and year combination) i ...
- Jansky, Shelley H.; Charkowski, Amy O.; Douches, David S.; Gusmini, Gabe; Richael, Craig; Bethke, Paul C.; Spooner, David M.; Novy, Richard G.; De Jong, Hielke; De Jong, Walter S.; Bamberg, John B.; Thompson, A. L.; Bizimungu, Benoit; Holm, David G.; Brown, Chuck R.; Haynes, Kathleen G.; Sathuvalli, Vidyasagar R.; Veilleux, Richard E.; Miller, J. Creighton; Bradeen, Jim M.; Jiang, Jiming
- Crop science 2016 v.56 no.4 pp. 1412-1422
- asexual reproduction; diploidy; food crops; genetic improvement; heterozygosity; inbred lines; outcrossing; plant breeding; potatoes; seed productivity; seed tubers; tetraploidy; true seeds
- ... The third most important food crop worldwide, potato (L.) is a tetraploid outcrossing species propagated from tubers. Breeders have long been challenged by polyploidy, heterozygosity, and asexual reproduction. It has been assumed that tetraploidy is essential for high yield, that the creation of inbred potato is not feasible, and that propagation by seed tubers is ideal. In this paper, we question ...