Jump to Main Content
- Kimbeng, Collins A., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Crop science 2011 v.51 no.1 pp. 21
- Saccharum; sugarcane; neural networks; decision support systems; plant breeding; artificial selection; selection criteria; seedlings; case studies; mathematical models; calibration; yield components; stems; height; diameter; selection intensity; selection response
- ... Artificial neural network (ANN) models are mathematical models based on biological neural networks; they are a supervised learning method and use pattern learning from a training dataset that is a subsample of the whole dataset to produce predictions of response variables. We demonstrate the potential of an ANN model as a tool for selection in sugarcane. Cane yield components, namely stalk number, ...
- Kimbeng, Collins A., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Crop science 2010 v.50 no.3 pp. 861
- Saccharum; sugarcane; Diatraea saccharalis; Eoreuma loftini; pest resistance; genetic resistance; larvae; feeding behavior; selection criteria; artificial selection; genetic correlation; internodes; provenance; plant genetic resources; Louisiana; Texas
- ... The sugarcane borer (SCB) [ (F.)] and Mexican rice borer (MRB) [ (Dyar)] are two economically important pests of sugarcane (spp. hybrids) in the United States. Because of similarities in larval feeding behavior, selecting for resistance to one species could provide resistance to the other, a phenomenon we have termed “cross-resistance”. The objective of this study was to determine if SCB-resistanc ...