Jump to Main Content
- Wang, Tiebin; Dunlop, Mary J
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2019 v.57 pp. 10-16
- biosynthesis; gene expression; genetic variation; metabolic engineering; phenotype
- ... Individual cells within a population can display diverse phenotypes due to differences in their local environment, genetic variation, and stochastic expression of genes. Understanding this cell-to-cell variation is important for metabolic engineering applications because variability can impact production. For instance, recent studies have shown that production can be highly heterogeneous among eng ...
- Ekas, Holly; Deaner, Matthew; Alper, Hal S
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2019 v.57 pp. 1-9
- Escherichia coli; animals; commercialization; fermentation; petroleum; synthetic biology; yeasts
- ... Due to unsustainable petroleum supply and poor yields from plant and animal sources, there is an increased effort to engineer microbial hosts for renewable chemical production. When compared to microbes such as Escherichia coli, fungal hosts show advantages due to their natural robust tolerance for industrial fermentation. Synthetic biology has focused on implementing heterologous pathways and man ...