Jump to Main Content
- Filannino, Pasquale; Di Cagno, Raffaella; Gobbetti, Marco
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 64-72
- biochemical pathways; biotransformation; fermentation; health promotion; lactic acid bacteria; metabolites; phenolic compounds
- ... Even though lactic acid bacteria are only a small part of the plant autochthonous microbiota, they represent the most important microbes having the capability to promote significant changes in the health-promoting properties of plant foods. Owing to the variety of plant chemical components and the possible pathways for bioconversion, plant fermentation is like a metabolic labyrinth undertaken by b ...
- Lu, Zhen-Ming; Wang, Zong-Min; Zhang, Xiao-Juan; Mao, Jian; Shi, Jin-Song; Xu, Zheng-Hong
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 88-93
- acetic acid; biochemical pathways; ecological function; ecosystems; fermentation; flavor; grains; industry; microbial communities; microorganisms; odors; raw materials; vinegars
- ... Over thousands of years, humans have mastered the natural vinegar fermentation technique of cultivating functional microbiota on different raw materials. Functional microbial communities that form reproducibly on non-autoclaved raw materials through repeated batch acetic acid fermentation underpin the flavour development of traditional cereal vinegars. However, how to modulate rationally and optim ...