Jump to Main Content
- Lu, Zhen-Ming; Wang, Zong-Min; Zhang, Xiao-Juan; Mao, Jian; Shi, Jin-Song; Xu, Zheng-Hong
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 88-93
- acetic acid; biochemical pathways; ecological function; ecosystems; fermentation; flavor; grains; industry; microbial communities; microorganisms; odors; raw materials; vinegars
- ... Over thousands of years, humans have mastered the natural vinegar fermentation technique of cultivating functional microbiota on different raw materials. Functional microbial communities that form reproducibly on non-autoclaved raw materials through repeated batch acetic acid fermentation underpin the flavour development of traditional cereal vinegars. However, how to modulate rationally and optim ...
- de Melo, Alessandra Gonçalves; Levesque, Sébastien; Moineau, Sylvain
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 185-190
- bacteriophages; ecosystems; fermentation; food pathogens; food processing; foodborne illness; risk; risk reduction
- ... Phages can infect all bacterial genera on the planet leading to their abundance in ecosystems. While these bacterial viruses may represent a risk to industrial fermentations, they may also be valuable tools to control foodborne pathogens. Here we review these two sides of phage replication. As bacterial fermentations are constantly under threat of phage attacks, we will discuss phage diversity and ...