Jump to Main Content
- Macori, Guerrino; Cotter, Paul D
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 172-178
- dairy products; fermentation; food preservation; food safety; genetic variation; health promotion; microorganisms
- ... Fermentation is a traditional approach to food preservation that, in addition to improving food safety, also confers enhanced organoleptic, nutritional, and health-promoting attributes upon those foods.Dairy products can be fermented by a diverse microbiota. The accompanying microbes can be studied using a variety of different, including ‘omics’-based, approaches that can reveal their composition ...
- Gallone, Brigida; Mertens, Stijn; Gordon, Jonathan L; Maere, Steven; Verstrepen, Kevin J; Steensels, Jan
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 148-155
- Saccharomyces; beers; domestication; evolution; fermentation; genetic variation; genome; models; niches; phenotype; yeasts
- ... Yeasts have been used for food and beverage fermentations for thousands of years. Today, numerous different strains are available for each specific fermentation process. However, the nature and extent of the phenotypic and genetic diversity and specific adaptations to industrial niches have only begun to be elucidated recently. In Saccharomyces, domestication is most pronounced in beer strains, li ...