Jump to Main Content
- Filannino, Pasquale; Di Cagno, Raffaella; Gobbetti, Marco
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 64-72
- biochemical pathways; biotransformation; fermentation; health promotion; lactic acid bacteria; metabolites; phenolic compounds
- ... Even though lactic acid bacteria are only a small part of the plant autochthonous microbiota, they represent the most important microbes having the capability to promote significant changes in the health-promoting properties of plant foods. Owing to the variety of plant chemical components and the possible pathways for bioconversion, plant fermentation is like a metabolic labyrinth undertaken by b ...
- Macori, Guerrino; Cotter, Paul D
- Current opinion in biotechnology 2018 v.49 pp. 172-178
- dairy products; fermentation; food preservation; food safety; genetic variation; health promotion; microorganisms
- ... Fermentation is a traditional approach to food preservation that, in addition to improving food safety, also confers enhanced organoleptic, nutritional, and health-promoting attributes upon those foods.Dairy products can be fermented by a diverse microbiota. The accompanying microbes can be studied using a variety of different, including ‘omics’-based, approaches that can reveal their composition ...