Jump to Main Content
- Mirzabaev, Alisher; Nkonya, Ephraim; von Braun, Joachim
- Current opinion in environmental sustainability 2015 v.15 pp. 9-19
- arid lands; biodiversity; climate change; ecosystem services; ecosystems; energy; food security; issues and policy; land degradation; land economics; livelihood; people; social environment; social impact; soil degradation; sustainable land management
- ... Degradation of soil and land resources is a critical global problem. It is widespread not only in drylands and cropped areas, but in most agro-ecologies and biomes around the world. Unless addressed, it may undermine global food security and negatively affect the livelihoods of billions of people, especially of the poor. Addressing land degradation requires public, community and private actions in ...
- Scoones, Ian
- Current opinion in environmental sustainability 2015 v.15 pp. 20-24
- case studies; farms; issues and policy; landscapes; new combination; nutrients; people; politics; soil; Ethiopia
- ... Soils must be understood from a transdisciplinary perspective, integrating biophysical, social, economic and political understandings. This requires new combinations of methods. This paper introduces the STEPS ‘pathways approach’, which emphasises the importance of ‘framing’ of different options. Through a case study from Ethiopia, the possibilities of a transdisciplinary analysis of soils are exp ...