Jump to Main Content
- Baidya, Amit K; Bhattacharya, Saurabh; Dubey, Gyanendra P; Mamou, Gideon; Ben-Yehuda, Sigal
- Current opinion in microbiology 2018 v.42 pp. 1-6
- bacteria; bacterial communities; nanotubes; phenotype; trade
- ... Bacteria use elaborate molecular machines for intercellular contact-dependent interactions. We discuss a relatively less explored type of intercellular connections mediated by tubular membranous bridges, termed nanotubes. Increasing evidence suggests that nanotube structures mediate cytoplasmic molecular trade among neighboring cells of the same and different species. Further, nanotubes were found ...
- Madsen, Jonas Stenløkke; Sørensen, Søren Johannes; Burmølle, Mette
- Current opinion in microbiology 2018 v.42 pp. 104-109
- bacterial communities; biofilm; community structure; microbiology; phenotype; social behavior
- ... Bacterial communities are dominated and shaped by social interactions, which facilitate the emergence of properties observed only in the community setting. Such community-intrinsic properties impact not only the phenotypes of cells in a community, but also community composition and function, and are thus likely to affect a potential host. Studying community-intrinsic properties is, therefore, impo ...