Jump to Main Content
- Fernandes, Joiselle B; Wlodzimierz, Piotr; Henderson, Ian R
- Current opinion in plant biology 2019 v.48 pp. 26-35
- cold; epigenetics; eukaryotic cells; gene conversion; genetic variation; homologous recombination; kinetochores; meiosis; nucleosomes; retrotransposons; satellites
- ... Meiosis is a conserved eukaryotic cell division that increases genetic diversity in sexual populations. During meiosis homologous chromosomes pair and undergo recombination that can result in reciprocal genetic exchange, termed crossover. The frequency of crossover is highly variable along chromosomes, with hot spots and cold spots. For example, the centromeres that contain the kinetochore, which ...
- Kersey, Paul Julian
- Current opinion in plant biology 2019 v.48 pp. 1-8
- Chlorophyta; bioinformatics; crops; embryophytes; feeds; fuels; genome; medicine; nutrition; photosynthesis; primary productivity; sequence analysis; technology
- ... The green plants (Viridiplantae) are an essential kingdom of life, responsible via photosynthesis for the majority of global primary production, and directly utilized by humankind for nutrition, animal feed, fuel, clothing, medicine and other purposes. There are an estimated 391 000 species of land plants, in addition to 8000 species of green algae. Their genomes are unusually diverse compared to ...