Jump to Main Content
- Song, Xianwei; Cao, Xiaofeng
- Current opinion in plant biology 2017 v.36 pp. 111-118
- staple foods, etc ; Oryza sativa; environmental factors; epigenetics; food crops; gene expression; genes; genetic variation; genomics; geography; intergenic DNA; models; phenotypic variation; rice; transposons; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... Transposable elements (TEs) have long been regarded as ‘selfish DNA’, and are generally silenced by epigenetic mechanisms. However, work in the past decade has identified positive roles for TEs in generating genomic novelty and diversity in plants. In particular, recent studies suggested that TE-induced epigenetic alterations and modification of gene expression contribute to phenotypic variation a ...
- McCallum, Emily J; Anjanappa, Ravi B; Gruissem, Wilhelm
- Current opinion in plant biology 2017 v.38 pp. 50-58
- staple foods, etc ; Cassava brown streak virus; Manihot esculenta; breeding; cassava; crop yield; disease incidence; disease surveillance; farming systems; food crops; fungi; genetic engineering; people; tropics; viruses; Africa; Asia; South America; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Cassava is an important staple food crop for millions of people in tropical regions across Africa, South America and Asia. Viral, bacterial and fungal diseases impact cassava yield in all three regions. The viruses causing cassava mosaic disease and cassava brown streak disease have been particularly devastating to cassava production in Africa. Improved farming practices and disease monitoring can ...