Jump to Main Content
- Boswijk, Gretel; Fowler, Anthony M.
- Dendrochronologia 2019 v.57 pp. 125611
- Agathis australis; archaeology; buildings; cities; dendroclimatology; growth rings; provenance; spatial variation; trees; wood; wood industry; New Zealand
- ... After 1840, New Zealand kauri (Agathis australis) became the focus of a large-scale timber industry in the upper North Island, which converted trees into timber that was then used in construction. Cities such as Auckland and Wellington relied on importing kauri to meet local demand for construction and other uses. Kauri timbers from buildings and in-ground features, mostly in Auckland city, have b ...
- Matskovsky, Vladimir; Roig, Fidel Alejandro; Pastur, Guillermo Martínez
- Dendrochronologia 2019 v.57 pp. 125610
- Nothofagus pumilio; climate; defoliation; environmental factors; frost; growth rings; insect outbreaks; models; periodicity; summer; temperature; tree growth; trees; Argentina
- ... A pronounced seven-year cycle is one of the most prominent features of many Fuegian and southern Patagonian Nothofagus pumilio tree-ring width chronologies. However, the source of this variability is still unclear. Here we provide multiple lines of evidence that suggest this phenomenon comes from non-climatically induced ecological factors, most probably triggered by insect outbreaks. To test this ...