Jump to Main Content
- Barb, C.R.; Hausman, G.J.; Czaja, K.
- Domestic animal endocrinology 2005 v.29 no.1 pp. 186
- swine; leptin; hormonal regulation; animal reproduction; metabolism; body fat; adipose tissue; hypothalamus; pituitary gonadotropins; hormone secretion; nutritional status
- ... The discovery of the obesity gene and its product, leptin, it is now possible to examine the relationship between body fat and the neuroendocrine axis. A minimum percentage of body fat may be linked to onset of puberty and weaning-to-estrus interval in the pig. Adipose tissue is no longer considered as only a depot to store excess energy in the form of fat. Recent findings demonstrate that numerou ...
- Scanes, C.G.; Jeftinija, S.; Glavaski-Joksimovic, A.; Proudman, J.; Aramburo, C.; Anderson, L.L.
- Domestic animal endocrinology 2005 v.29 no.1 pp. 23
- livestock; anterior pituitary; anterior pituitary hormones; hormone secretion; somatotropin; prolactin; follicle-stimulating hormone; luteinizing hormone; physiological regulation
- ... There has been extensive research of the anterior pituitary gland of livestock and poultry due to the economic (agricultural) importance of physiological processes controlled by it including reproduction, growth, lactation and stress. Moreover, farm animals can be biomedical models or useful in evolutionary/ecological research. There are for multiple sites of control of the secretion of anterior p ...