Jump to Main Content
- Trathan, P. N.; Ratcliffe, N.; Masden, E. A.
- Ecography 2012 v.35 no.11 pp. 983-993
- Arctocephalus; Euphausia superba; breeding season; climate; humans; ice; krill; oceans; pasta; penguins; seabirds; seals; surpluses; surveys; whales; Antarctic region; Georgia
- ... Macaroni penguins Eudyptes chrysolophus are thought to be one of the most important mesopredators in the Southern Ocean having a greater impact on prey availability and abundance than any other seabird species. Their population centre has long been held to be South Georgia where populations were thought to comprise many million animals. Here we report the results of a recent census of the macaroni ...
- Craine, Joseph M.; Wolkovich, Elizabeth M.; Towne, E. Gene
- Ecography 2012 v.35 no.11 pp. 1033-1038
- climate; ecosystems; filters; flora; flowering; flowers; global warming; growing season; niches; ornamental horticulture; phenology; planting; prairies; spring; England; United States
- ... Plant phenologies are key components of community assembly and ecosystem function, yet we know little about how phenological patterns differ among ecosystems. Community‐level phenological patterns may be driven by the filtering of species into communities based on their phenology or by intraspecific responses to local conditions that shift when species flower. To understand the relative roles of f ...