Jump to Main Content
- Perfecto, Ivette; Snelling, Roy
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 1084-1097
- Formicidae; agroecosystems; arthropods; canopy; farms; humans; modernization; pitfall traps; plantations; species diversity; Costa Rica
- ... Studies of biological diversity have focused mainly on undisturbed ecosystems, effectively neglecting potential losses due to changes in areas already altered by human intervention. In this study we test the hypothesis that measures of biological diversity change significantly with changes in agricultural practices. In particular, we examine differences in measures of ant species diversity correla ...
- Drinkwater, L. E.; Letourneau, D. K.; Workneh, F.; van Bruggen, A. H. C.; Shennan, C.
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 1098-1112
- agroecosystems; arthropods; biological control; biomass; commercial farms; disease severity; environmental factors; fertilizers; fruit yield; insect pests; management systems; microbial activity; mineralization; nitrogen; organic foods; organic soils; parasitoids; pest control; pesticides; production technology; root diseases; soil amendments; tomatoes; California
- ... In an integrated, multidisciplinary study we compared ecological characteristics and productivity of commercial farms categorized as either organic (ORG) or conventional (CNV) based on their use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides or reliance on organic soil amendments and biological pest control. We measured belowground parameters: various soil chemical and biological properties and root dise ...