Jump to Main Content
- Gilliam, Frank S.; Turrill, Nicole L.; Adams, Mary Beth
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 947-955
- Acer pensylvanicum; Acer saccharum subsp. saccharum; Laportea; Liriodendron tulipifera; Prunus serotina; Quercus rubra; Viola; clearcutting; correspondence analysis; cutting; ecosystem management; ferns and fern allies; forest ecosystems; forest management; ground vegetation; hardwood forests; herbaceous plants; managers; overstory; plant response; seedlings; shade tolerance; soil; species diversity; stand characteristics; stems; trees; vascular plants; watersheds
- ... The current interest among resource managers in ecosystem management necessitates a better understanding of the response of plant species diversity to forest management practices. This study attempted to assess the effects of one forest management practice–clear‐cutting–on plant biodiversity in a mid‐Appalachian hardwood forest by comparing species composition and diversity between two young (≈ 20 ...
- Lugo, Ariel E.
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 956-961
- ecologists; economic factors; ecosystem management; ecosystems; humans; land use; landscapes; politics; species diversity; tropical forests
- ... Increasing demands for products and services from tropical forests require solutions that conserve biodiversity while responding to human needs. I review various paradigms of tropical forest resiliency and fragility to focus attention on the management of biodiversity. The management of tropical biodiversity is possible within the context of land use programs that focus on ecosystem management. Ne ...