Jump to Main Content
- Anderson, Val J.; Briske, David D.
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 1014-1024
- grasses; stomatal conductance; Schizachyrium scoparium; Nassella leucotricha; managers; Bothriochloa; rangelands; grazing; leaf blade; leaf area; herbivores; gardens; species diversity; defoliation; xylem; stand basal area; grasslands; vapors; Texas
- ... Herbivore‐induced shifts in species composition have been documented from grasslands throughout the world, but the mechanism(s) of species replacement remains largely unexplored. An experiment was conducted in a transplant garden, on the campus of Texas A&M University, to test the hypothesis that greater herbivory tolerance of mid‐seral species, rather than selective herbivory of a late‐seral domi ...
- Salick, Jan; Mejia, Alejandro; Anderson, Todd
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 878-895
- clearcutting; forest management; grasses; logging; nontimber forest products; plant communities; seedlings; trees; tropical rain forests; vines; Nicaragua
- ... In the Atlantic lowland tropical rainforests of the Rio San Juan region, Nicaragua, we are conducting applied vegetation community analyses within an attempt to integrate non—timber forest products with natural forest management. Two long—term sampling plots were evaluated: one primary tropical rainforest plot before and 1 yr after selective logging, and another plot 9 yr after selective logging w ...