Jump to Main Content
- Boot, Rene G. A.; Gullison, R. E.
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 896-903
- Brazil nuts; Meliaceae; demographic statistics; design for environment; economic analysis; ecosystems; environmental impact; mechanistic models; nontimber forest products; trees; tropical forests
- ... There are few if any examples of the demonstrably sustainable extraction of either timber or non—timber forest products. Even well—known products such as brazil nuts and mahogany lack a sufficient knowledge base to design a sustainable extraction system. Potential extraction systems for timber and non—timber forest products from tropical forests should be evaluated both in terms of their sustainab ...
- Salick, Jan; Mejia, Alejandro; Anderson, Todd
- Ecological applications 1995 v.5 no.4 pp. 878-895
- clearcutting; forest management; grasses; logging; nontimber forest products; plant communities; seedlings; trees; tropical rain forests; vines; Nicaragua
- ... In the Atlantic lowland tropical rainforests of the Rio San Juan region, Nicaragua, we are conducting applied vegetation community analyses within an attempt to integrate non—timber forest products with natural forest management. Two long—term sampling plots were evaluated: one primary tropical rainforest plot before and 1 yr after selective logging, and another plot 9 yr after selective logging w ...