Jump to Main Content
- Alves, A.S.; Caetano, A.; Costa, J.L.; Costa, M.J.; Marques, J.C.
- Ecological indicators 2015 v.54 pp. 184-196
- Portugal, etc ; Nematoda; anthropogenic activities; benthic organisms; ecosystems; estuaries; eutrophication; fauna; littoral zone; Show all 9 Subjects
- ... The Mondego estuary (Portugal) has been under environmental pressure since the early 1990s due to different anthropogenic stresses. The system has been studied following benthic communities’ features from an impacted situation until the recovery phase, focusing mostly on macrobenthos. Following the application of mitigation measures in the estuary, this study is focused on the variability of the i ...
- Pedro, Sílvia; Duarte, Bernardo; Castro, Nuno; Almeida, Pedro Raposo; Caçador, Isabel; Costa, José Lino
- Ecological indicators 2015 v.48 pp. 370-379
- Portugal, etc ; Halobatrachus didactylus; adults; anthropogenic activities; benthic organisms; bioaccumulation; bioavailability; cadmium; chromium; cobalt; copper; embryogenesis; estuaries; estuarine sediments; females; fish; gonads; lead; liver; males; metabolism; muscle tissues; muscles; nickel; sedentary species; sediment contamination; spawning; vitellogenin; zinc; Show all 29 Subjects
- ... Early diagenetic processes and anthropogenic activities are responsible for metal enrichment in estuarine sediments. The Tagus estuary (Portugal) is no exception, and as a result of past and present pressures, surface sediment contamination is still an issue in some areas. Since such metal loads may be incorporated by benthic organisms, this study analyzed the accumulation of trace metals in the L ...