Jump to Main Content
- Gonçalves, Sílvia C.; Anastácio, Pedro M.; Marques, João C.
- Ecological indicators 2013 v.29 pp. 549-557
- Crustacea; beaches; case studies; ecosystems; environmental impact; environmental monitoring; environmental quality; humans; life history; population ecology; Italy; Portugal; Tunisia
- ... In the last decades, the sharp increase of human activities on sandy beaches has introduced several detrimental impacts on these ecosystems, highlighting the importance of developing environmental quality assessments and sustainable management and protection plans for these environments. The study of key species at the population level represents an adequate and important approach to the ecosystem ...
- Pinna, Maurizio; Marini, Gabriele; Rosati, Ilaria; Neto, João M.; Patrício, Joana; Marques, João Carlos; Basset, Alberto
- Ecological indicators 2013 v.29 pp. 48-61
- biomass; body size; compliance; cost effectiveness; data collection; ecosystems; macroinvertebrates; monitoring; sieves; sieving; species diversity; Italy
- ... The success of a monitoring programme depends on the precision and accuracy of assessment tools, on the costs of sampling and laboratory procedures, on the time lag between sampling and the availability of the results. Aquatic ecosystem monitoring programmes using macroinvertebrates, developed in compliance with the EC Water Framework Directive, are constrained by assessment tools which require ec ...