Jump to Main Content
- Schmitt, Melissa H.; Ward, David; Shrader, Adrian M.
- Ecological modelling 2016 v.332 pp. 8-18
- Elephantidae; adverse effects; browsing; carrying capacity; diet; foraging; herbivores; models; neutralization; nitrogen; prediction; proteins; saliva; secondary metabolites; tannins
- ... Elephant populations have been historically difficult to manage and have sometimes been subjected to drastic management procedures. One way to monitor elephant populations to estimate a sustainable carrying capacity is through the use of standing-crop carrying-capacity models. Previous carrying-capacity models designed for grazers have posed issues when applied to browsers such as elephants, predi ...
- Yan, Chuan; Zhang, Zhibin
- Ecological modelling 2016 v.332 pp. 1-7
- carrying capacity; community structure; population density; predation
- ... Understanding the mechanisms determining population density of species in communities and ecological networks is an important task in ecological studies. Interactions and carrying capacity largely determine population density of species and then community structure. However, their impacts on population density have not been fully investigated in ecological networks. In this study, we examined the ...