Jump to Main Content
- Rice, Jake; Ohmart, Robert D.; Anderson, Bertin W.
- Ecological monographs 1983 v.53 no.3 pp. 263-290
- Prosopis glandulosa; birds; census data; discriminant analysis; frugivores; habitat preferences; habitats; leaves; population structure; riparian areas; river valleys; seasonal variation; species diversity; spring; summer; vegetation; Colorado River
- ... Habitat use characteristics of all bird species occurring in the lower Colorado River valley were studied. Seventy—two transects, each through homogeneous stands of vegetation and together representing all riparian habitat types occurring in the area, were censused three times monthly for 2 yr (1977, 1978) to provide distributional records for all species. From the census data we divided the trans ...
- DeMott, William R.
- Ecological monographs 1983 v.53 no.3 pp. 321-340
- Chlamydomonas; Daphnia longispina; algae; autumn; birth rate; digestive system; eggs; field experimentation; fish; grazing trials; intraspecific competition; lakes; males; mortality; parthenogenesis; phytoplankton; population growth; population structure; predation; reproductive success; spring; summer; Vermont
- ... This study uses descriptive data and field experiments to examine a seasonal succession between two planktonic grazers (Daphnia rosea and Daphnia pulicaria) in a small Vermont lake. Each year Daphnia populations hatched from resting eggs during May and both species produced numerous parthenogenetic generations before the appearance of males and ephippia in late September. During the 2 yr of study, ...