Jump to Main Content
- Baker, R. G.; Bettis, E. A., III; Schwert, D. P.; Horton, D. G.; Chumbley, C. A.; Gonzalez, L. A.; Reagan, M. K.
- Ecological monographs 1996 v.66 no.2 pp. 203-234
- Carpinus caroliniana, etc ; Acer saccharum; Ambrosia; Bryophyta; Coleoptera; Holocene epoch; Ostrya virginiana; Picea; Poaceae; Quercus; Tilia americana; Ulmus; alluvium; basins; carbon; climate; climate change; deciduous forests; fauna; floodplains; forest habitats; grasslands; highlands; indigenous species; insects; land clearing; landscapes; mosses and liverworts; oxygen; paleoclimatology; paleoecology; palynology; pollen; savannas; seasonal variation; seeds; soil; stable isotopes; streams; temperature; vascular plants; water quality; woodlands; Iowa; Show all 44 Subjects
- ... This paper presents the biotic, sedimentary, geomorphic, and climatic history of the upper part of the Roberts Creek Basin, northeastern Iowa for the late—glacial and Holocene, and compares these records with a C—O isotopic sequence from Coldwater Cave, 60 km northwest of Roberts Creek. The biotic record (pollen, vascular plant and bryophyte macrofossils, and insects) is preserved in floodplain al ...
- Streng, Donna R.; Glitzenstein, Jeff S.; Harcombe, P. A.
- Ecological monographs 1989 v.59 no.2 pp. 177-204
- Carpinus caroliniana, etc ; Acer rubrum; Ilex decidua; Liquidambar styraciflua; Quercus nigra; Ulmus americana; adults; canopy; crops; damping off; demography; drought; floodplains; floods; forests; fungi; growing season; herbivores; interspecific variation; mortality; phenology; rivers; seedling emergence; seedling growth; seedlings; seeds; species diversity; spring; summer; temporal variation; trees; understory; woody plants; Texas; Show all 34 Subjects
- ... We monitored woody plant seed deposition, seedling emergence, and the survival and growth of seedlings (i.e., plants ≤0.5 m tall regardless of age) in an East Texas river floodplain forest from 1979 through 1984. In addition, we estimated the relative importance of flooding, drought, fungal attack, herbivory, proximity to a conspecific adult, and shade in causing seedling mortality. Tree species f ...