Jump to Main Content
- MacGregor-Fors, Ian
- Ecological research 2010 v.25 no.4 pp. 883-887
- birds; cities; ecotones; population size; species diversity; wildland-urban interface
- ... The array of definitions regarding ‘peri-urban' areas do not allow the precise measurement of its boundaries in a city. In this study, I developed an easy-to-use method to calculate the area where urban and adjacent non-urban systems intermingle. To validate that such areas were ecologically meaningful, I compared bird community species-richness, abundance, and composition from ‘intra-' and ‘peri- ...
- MacGregor-Fors, Ian, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Ecological research 2014 v.29 no.4 pp. 619-628
- birds; cities; ecotones; environmental factors; habitats; species diversity; urban areas; urbanization; Mexico
- ... Cities can be regionalized in intra-urban and peri-urban areas. The space between urban areas and adjacent systems represents an ecological transition that often acts as a semi-permeable biological filter. In this study, we assessed changes in avian community species richness, density, and composition at different peri-urban ecotones (i.e., urban-croplands, urban-grasslands, urban-shrublands) of n ...