Jump to Main Content
- McMahon, Jordan D.; Lashley, Marcus A.; Brooks, Christopher P.; Barton, Brandon T.
- Ecology 2018 v.99 no.7 pp. 1517-1522
- Araneae, etc ; covariance; food choices; grasshoppers; high protein diet; predation; predators; risk; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Giving‐up density (GUD) experiments have been a foundational method to evaluate perceived predation risk, but rely on the assumption that food preferences are absolute, so that areas with higher GUDs can be interpreted as having higher risk. However, nutritional preferences are context dependent and can change with risk. We used spiders and grasshoppers to test the hypothesis that covariance in nu ...
- Bosc, Christopher; Roets, Francois; Hui, Cang; Pauw, Anton
- Ecology 2018 v.99 no.7 pp. 1602-1609
- Araneae, etc ; birds; cages; fynbos; insectivores; phytophagous insects; predation; predators; South Africa; Show all 9 Subjects
- ... The worldwide loss of top predators from natural and agricultural systems has heightened the need to understand how important they are in controlling herbivore abundance. The effect of top predators on herbivore species is likely to depend on (1) the importance of the consumption of intermediate predators by top predators (intra‐guild predation; IGP), but also on (2) plant specificity by herbivore ...