Jump to Main Content
- Collins, Cathy D.; Foster, Bryan L.
- Ecology 2009 v.90 no.9 pp. 2567-2576
- C3 plants, etc ; prairie soils; mycorrhizae; mycorrhizal fungi; vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizae; soil nutrients; phosphorus; nutrient availability; grasses; plant communities; species diversity; community structure; C4 plants; models; Kansas; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... In grasslands, arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) mediate plant diversity; whether AMF increase or decrease diversity depends on the relative mycotrophy in dominant vs. subordinate plants. In this study we investigated whether soil nutrient levels also influence the ability of AMF to mediate plant species coexistence. First, we developed a conceptual model that predicts the influence of AMF on div ...
- Monger, H. Curtis; Cole, David R.; Buck, Brenda J.; Gallegos, Robert A.
- Ecology 2009 v.90 no.6 pp. 1498-1511
- C3 plants, etc ; C4 plants; plant ecology; carbonates; soil formation; rhizosphere; xerophytes; stable isotopes; paleoecology; grasslands; shrubs; roots; soil-plant interactions; landscape ecology; New Mexico; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... The ¹³C/¹²C ratio in pedogenic carbonate (i.e., CaCO₃ formed in soil) is a significant tool for investigating C₄ biomes of the past. However, the paleoecological meaning of δ¹³C values in pedogenic carbonate can change with the scale at which one considers the data. We describe studies of modern soils, fossil soils, and vegetation change in the Chihuahuan Desert of North America and elsewhere that ...