Jump to Main Content
- Johnson, Marc T. J.
- Ecology 2008 v.89 no.1 pp. 145-154
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; plant genetics; phytophagous insects; plant-insect relations; regression analysis; field experimentation; Oenothera biennis; mutualism; genotype; population density; population growth; Crematogaster; predator-prey relationships; Ontario; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Theory predicts that bottom‐up ecological forces can affect community dynamics, but whether this extends to the effects of heritable plant variation on tritrophic communities is poorly understood. In a field experiment, I contrasted the effects of plant genotype (28 genotypes; 1064 plants), aphid density, and the presence/absence of mutualistic ants in affecting the per capita population growth of ...
- Breton, Lorraine M.; Addicott, John F.
- Ecology 1992 v.73 no.6 pp. 2175-2180
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; Epilobium angustifolium; Formica; evolution; mutualism; population growth; Colorado; Rocky Mountain region; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Our objectives were to determine if the mutualistic effect of ant tending on aphid population growth varied with aphid density, and to consider possible mechanisms explaining such a context—dependent effect. We studied the interaction between Aphis varians and Formica cinerea on fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium) in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. In 1988 we used two experiments to examine the in ...