Jump to Main Content
- Dearing, M. Denise; Schall, Jos. J.
- Ecology 1992 v.73 no.3 pp. 845-858
- food plants, etc ; diet; digestible protein; dry season; energy content; flowers; foods; fruits; herbivores; leaves; lizards; minerals; models; multivariate analysis; nectar; nutrient content; nutrients; optimal nutrition; toxicity; Netherlands Antilles; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... The diet of the predominantly herbivorous Bonaire Island whiptail lizard (Teiidae: Cnemidophorus murinus) was examined to assess three models of diet selection by generalist herbivores. These models were: single—nutrient maximizing, toxin avoiding, and nutritional wisdom. At three sites were gathered data on the diet of the lizard over a full year (both wet and dry seasons) on the relative abundan ...
- Belovsky, Gary E.
- Ecology 1981 v.62 no.4 pp. 1020-1030
- food plants, etc ; Alces alces; diet; food choices; foraging; herbivores; models; national parks; nutritive value; risk; species diversity; Michigan; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... A model of food plant selection by a generalist herbivore was developed. The model was designed to predict the species composition of the diet of an herbivore based upon the joint probabilities of whether or not an individual of a plant species satisfied two threshold values: some nutritional minimum and a size limit (both minimum and maximum), and the probability that it was encountered while for ...