Jump to Main Content
- Soler, Juan José; Martínez, Juan Gabriel; Soler, Manuel; Møller, Anders Pape
- Ecology 2001 v.82 no.6 pp. 1621-1631
- parasitism, etc ; Cuculidae; Pica pica; allopatry; clutch size; eggs; hosts; latitude; life history; models; parasites; prediction; probability; progeny; sympatry; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... Parasites can have dramatic effects on life‐history decisions of hosts such as timing of reproduction, clutch size, and investment in individual offspring, depending on the timing of parasite effects on host fitness. Moreover, parasites may influence the optimum values of important life‐history traits such as clutch size and brood size by having different fitness effects for large and for small va ...
- De Groot, Krista L.; Smith, James N. M.
- Ecology 2001 v.82 no.3 pp. 868-881
- parasitism, etc ; Molothrus ater; Pinus banksiana; Setophaga kirtlandii; breeding; community structure; coniferous forests; eggs; fruits; hosts; nestlings; nests; parasites; population dynamics; seeds; songbirds; species diversity; traps; Michigan; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Many ecologists have searched for species that contribute strongly to the structure and composition of communities of organisms. It has been speculated that the Brown‐headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater), a generalist brood parasite, is capable of changing songbird communities. Cowbird parasitism may reduce numbers of suitable hosts, i.e., songbirds that accept cowbird eggs and raise cowbird young. In ...