Jump to Main Content
- Búrquez, Alberto, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Ecology 2014 v.95 no.11 pp. 3213-3220
- adulthood; annuals; fecundity; germination; life history; natural selection; plant competition; probability; reproductive success; seed coat; seeds; survival rate; Sonoran Desert
- ... Under stressful circumstances, seed size has important consequences for germination, survival, and reproductive success; all of these are important components of plant fitness. This study investigates the relationship between seed size and fitness in the Sonoran Desert winter annual Dithyrea californica. This species represents a unique opportunity to study natural selection on seed size in the wi ...
- Burquez, Alberto, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Ecology 1987 v.68 no.1 pp. 65-76
- animals; autumn; dormancy; environmental impact; field experimentation; fruiting; fruits; germination; greenhouses; laboratory experimentation; morphs; mortality; phenotypic variation; progeny; seedlings; seeds; summer; temperature; wet season; Mexico
- ... Heterosperman pinnatum is an annual composite that produces heteromorphic achenes, with the proportion of achene morphs varying geographically. Field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments were used to examine the ecological consequences of the heteromorphism. Achenes were classified into three types based on morphology. Central, intermediate, and peripheral morphs, named for the positions occupi ...