Jump to Main Content
- Hirst, Andrew. G., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Ecology letters 2015 v.18 no.4 pp. 327-335
- adults; air; arthropods; body size; latitude; multivoltine habit; oxygen; prediction; univoltine habit
- ... Two major intraspecific patterns of adult size variation are plastic temperature‐size (T‐S) responses and latitude‐size (L‐S) clines. Yet, the degree to which these co‐vary and share explanatory mechanisms has not been systematically evaluated. We present the largest quantitative comparison of these gradients to date, and find that their direction and magnitude co‐vary among 12 arthropod orders (r ...
- Hirst, Andrew G., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Ecology letters 2014 v.17 no.10 pp. 1274-1281
- body size; chemical reactions; correlation; invertebrates; metabolism; models; ontogeny; prediction; surface area; wastes
- ... Metabolism fuels all of life's activities, from biochemical reactions to ecological interactions. According to two intensely debated theories, body size affects metabolism via geometrical influences on the transport of resources and wastes. However, these theories differ crucially in whether the size dependence of metabolism is derived from material transport across external surfaces, or through i ...