Jump to Main Content
- Birnie‐Gauvin, Kim; Aarestrup, Kim
- Ecology of freshwater fish 2019 v.28 no.1 pp. 62-68
- Salmo trutta; adults; autumn; freshwater; juveniles; marine environment; migratory behavior; phenotypic plasticity; saline water; smolts; spring; streams; transponders
- ... Animals with complex life cycles often display plasticity in the timing of transitions across life stages. The brown trout, Salmo trutta, highlights such phenotypic plasticity with its alternative migratory tactics. Downstream migration of smolts exemplifies one of the many ways in which brown trout display plasticity. The timing of this migration is assumed to be in the spring, although recent ev ...
- Honkanen, Hannele M.; Boylan, Patrick; Dodd, Jennifer A.; Adams, Colin E.
- Ecology of freshwater fish 2019 v.28 no.1 pp. 156-166
- Salmo salar; adults; data collection; environmental factors; environmental impact; models; population size; spawning; variance; watersheds; Ireland
- ... Atlantic salmon populations appear to fluctuate stochastically through time. It is suspected that both density‐dependent and density‐independent factors cause these fluctuations but the relative importance of each, and the life stages at which they operate, is not well known. In this study, a long‐term data set on Atlantic salmon migrants returning to the Foyle catchment, Ireland, was used to dete ...