Jump to Main Content
- Cofer, Tristan M.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Bush, Janis K.; Miniat, Chelcy F.
- Ecosphere 2018 v.9 no.4 pp. e02204
- hardwood forests, etc ; Adelges tsugae; Castanea dentata; Cryphonectria parasitica; Rhododendron maximum; Tsuga canadensis; biotic factors; buried seeds; carbon; carbon nitrogen ratio; cations; correlation; deciduous forests; forest communities; mineral soils; mortality; nitrogen; nutrient availability; organic soils; pathogens; pests; phosphorus; principal component analysis; riparian forests; shrubs; soil nutrients; soil pH; soil water; species diversity; understory; woody plants; Show all 31 Subjects
- ... Southern Appalachian riparian forests have undergone changes in composition and function from invasive pathogens and pests. Castanea dentata mortality in the 1930s from chestnut blight (Cryphonectria parasitica) and Tsuga canadensis mortality in the 2000s from the hemlock woolly adelgid (Adelges tsugae) have led to the expansion and increased growth of Rhododendron maximum, an evergreen subcanopy ...
- Chorus Open Access:
- Durán, Jorge; Morse, Jennifer L.; Groffman, Peter M.; Campbell, John L.; Christenson, Lynn M.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Fisk, Melany C.; Likens, Gene E.; Melillo, Jerry M.; Mitchell, Myron J.; Templer, Pamela H.; Vadeboncoeur, Matthew A.; Peters, D. P. C.
- Ecosphere 2016 v.7 no.3
- hardwood forests, etc ; air pollution; altitude; climate change; climatic factors; forest ecosystems; freezing; growing season; heat sums; mineralization; nitrogen; nitrogen content; snow; soil temperature; soil water; temperate forests; thawing; winter; New Hampshire; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Nitrogen (N) supply often limits the productivity of temperate forests and is regulated by a complex mix of biological and climatic drivers. In excess, N is linked to a variety of soil, water, and air pollution issues. Here, we use results from an elevation gradient study and historical data from the long‐term Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study (New Hampshire, USA) to examine relationships between chan ...