Jump to Main Content
- Cofer, Tristan M.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Bush, Janis K.; Miniat, Chelcy F.
- Ecosphere 2018 v.9 no.4 pp. e02204
- hardwood forests, etc ; Adelges tsugae; Castanea dentata; Cryphonectria parasitica; Rhododendron maximum; Tsuga canadensis; biotic factors; buried seeds; carbon; carbon nitrogen ratio; cations; correlation; deciduous forests; forest communities; mineral soils; mortality; nitrogen; nutrient availability; organic soils; pathogens; pests; phosphorus; principal component analysis; riparian forests; shrubs; soil nutrients; soil pH; soil water; species diversity; understory; woody plants; Show all 31 Subjects
- ... Southern Appalachian riparian forests have undergone changes in composition and function from invasive pathogens and pests. Castanea dentata mortality in the 1930s from chestnut blight (Cryphonectria parasitica) and Tsuga canadensis mortality in the 2000s from the hemlock woolly adelgid (Adelges tsugae) have led to the expansion and increased growth of Rhododendron maximum, an evergreen subcanopy ...
- Chorus Open Access:
- Gilliam, Frank S.; Welch, Nicole Turrill; Phillips, Anne Hockenberry; Billmyer, Jake H.; Peterjohn, William T.; Fowler, Zachariah K.; Walter, Christopher A.; Burnham, Mark B.; May, Jeffrey D.; Adams, Mary Beth
- Ecosphere 2016 v.7 no.4
- hardwood forests, etc ; Rubus; ammonium sulfate; atmospheric deposition; community structure; data collection; emissions; forest canopy; forested watersheds; ground vegetation; herbaceous plants; nitrogen; prediction; species diversity; terrestrial ecosystems; vascular plants; West Virginia; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Increasing rates of atmospheric deposition of nitrogen (N) present a novel threat to the biodiversity of terrestrial ecosystems. Many forests are particularly susceptible to excess N given their proximity to sources of anthropogenic N emissions. This study summarizes results of a 25‐yr treatment of an entire central Appalachian hardwood forest watershed via aerial applications of N with a focus on ...