Jump to Main Content
- Nur, Nadav; Bradley, Russell W.; Salas, Leo; Warzybok, Pete; Jahncke, Jaime
- Ecosphere 2019 v.10 no.10 pp. e02878
- Athene cunicularia, etc ; Hydrobates pelagicus; Mus musculus; Oceanodroma; adults; data collection; islands; mark-recapture studies; mice; models; mortality; overwintering; predation; risk; seabirds; surveys; trapping; uncertainty; winter; California; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... We quantify the expected demographic benefit to a seabird of conservation concern, the ashy storm‐petrel Oceanodroma homochroa, from the proposed eradication of introduced house mice Mus musculus on the South Farallon Islands, California. A key objective of the eradication is to reduce storm petrel predation by burrowing owls Athene cunicularia, which stopover on the island during their fall migra ...
- Michel, Vanja T.; Jiménez‐Franco, María Victoria; Naef‐Daenzer, Beat; Grüebler, Martin U.; Peters, D. P. C.
- Ecosphere 2016 v.7 no.3
- Athene noctua, etc ; Strix; edge effects; forests; habitat fragmentation; habitats; models; predation; predator-prey relationships; predators; telemetry; Germany; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Interactions between top predators and mesopredators of the same guild often result in habitat segregation restricting interactions to shared habitat edges. Although negative edge effects are recognized as important spatial patterns in the ecology of fragmented landscapes, the underlying mechanisms of predator–prey interactions resulting in negative edge effects remain unknown. To disentangle top‐ ...