Jump to Main Content
- Lohse, Kathleen A., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Ecosystems 2018 v.21 no.7 pp. 1283-1294
- Artemisia tridentata; aboveground biomass; basins; biomass production; carbon; carbon cycle; carbon sinks; ecosystems; forbs; grasses; leaf area index; net ecosystem production; prescribed burning; shrubs; uncertainty; Western United States
- ... The impact of land management actions such as prescribed fire remains a key uncertainty in understanding the spatiotemporal patterns of carbon cycling in the Western USA. We therefore quantified carbon exchange and aboveground carbon stocks following a prescribed fire in a mountain big sagebrush ecosystem located in the northern Great Basin, USA. Specifically, we examined the changes in plant func ...
- Lohse, Kathleen A., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Ecosystems 2014 v.17 no.8 pp. 1309-1325
- aerosols; carbon nitrogen ratio; ecosystems; emissions; eutrophication; groundwater contamination; leaching; niches; nitrates; nitrification; nitrogen; rain; runoff; snow; soil; soil acidification; stream channels; urbanization; watersheds
- ... The influx of atmospheric nitrogen to soils and surfaces in arid environments is of growing concern due to increased N emissions and N usage associated with urbanization. Atmospheric nitrogen inputs to the critical zone can occur as wet (rain or snow) or dry (dust or aerosols) deposition, and can lead to eutrophication, soil acidification, and groundwater contamination through leaching of excess n ...