Jump to Main Content
- Tabadkani, Seyed Mohammad; Nozari, Jamasb
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 2014 v.153 no.3 pp. 199-206
- Paederus; adults; chemical defenses; color; foraging; models; predation; predator-prey relationships; predatory insects; toxicity
- ... Predation is a key force constraining the time and space in which prey can forage. Theoretical models propose that warning coloration (aposematism) may help unprofitable prey to extend their foraging niche without suffering the costs of predation. In this study, we show that aposematism can alter the development of those behaviors that are associated with detection by predators. The aposematic rov ...
- Messina, Frank J.; Johnson, Danielle
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 2014 v.153 no.3 pp. 231-239
- Callosobruchus maculatus; Chrysomelidae; adults; eggs; faba beans; fecundity; females; host plants; host range; insects; larvae; lentils; mung beans; oviposition; peas; seeds
- ... Adaptation to one novel host plant may simultaneously improve an insect's performance on other unfamiliar hosts, as a kind of cross‐adaptation. In selection experiments using an Asian population of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Fabricius) (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae: Bruchinae), larval survival in lentil seeds increased from about 1 to >90% in fewer than 30 generations, and acceptance o ...