Jump to Main Content
- Jiménez-Martínez, Edgardo S.; Bosque-Pérez, Nilsa A.
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 2009 v.133 no.1 pp. 19-26
- Rhopalosiphum padi; Triticum aestivum; Wheat streak mosaic virus; adults; coat proteins; cultivars; fecundity; genes; genotype; life history; longevity; plant diseases and disorders; plant height; plant viruses; transgenic plants; viral load; viruses; winter wheat
- ... The life history of the bird cherry-oat aphid, Rhopalosiphum padi (L.) (Hemiptera: Aphididae), was studied via laboratory assays on Wheat streak mosaic virus (WSMV)-infected and non-infected transgenic and non-transformed wheat [Triticum aestivum L. (Poaceae)]. Although R. padi is not a WSMV vector, it is known to colonize WSMV-infected wheat plants. Two transgenic soft white winter wheat genotype ...
- Ninkovic, Velemir; Glinwood, Robert; Dahlin, Iris
- Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 2009 v.133 no.1 pp. 38-45
- Chenopodium album; Hordeum vulgare; Rhopalosiphum padi; Solanum nigrum; barley; chemical interactions; crops; feeding behavior; field experimentation; insect pests; laboratory experimentation; organic production; trophic levels; volatile compounds; weeds
- ... Increased botanical diversity can lead to suppression of insect pests. One route by which botanical diversity is increased in crops is through the occurrence of weeds, which increasingly interact with crop plants as organic production expands. However, the mechanisms by which this might affect insect herbivores are poorly understood. This study examined whether volatile chemical interactions betwe ...