Jump to Main Content
- Durdina, Lukas; Brem, Benjamin T.; Setyan, Ari; Siegerist, Frithjof; Rindlisbacher, Theo; Wang, Jing
- Environmental Science & Technology 2017 v.51 no.6 pp. 3534-3541
- air pollution; aircraft; altitude; aviation; carbon; climate; emissions; environmental impact; flight; gasoline; greenhouse gases; inventories; models; nanoparticles; smoke
- ... Aviation is a substantial and a fast growing emissions source. Besides greenhouse gases, aircraft engines emit black carbon (BC), a climate forcer and air pollutant. Aviation BC emissions have been regulated and estimated through exhaust smoke visibility (smoke number). Their impacts are poorly understood because emission inventories lack representative data. Here, we measured BC mass and number-b ...
- Vadenbo, Carl; Tonini, Davide; Astrup, Thomas Fruergaard
- Environmental Science & Technology 2017 v.51 no.6 pp. 3575-3583
- arable soils; biochemical pathways; bioenergy; biomass; energy; environmental impact; fossil fuels; global warming; issues and policy; life cycle assessment; models; parameter uncertainty
- ... Bioenergy is often considered an important component, alongside other renewables, to mitigate global warming and to reduce fossil fuel dependency. Determining sustainable strategies for utilizing biomass resources, however, requires a holistic perspective to reflect a wider range of potential environmental consequences. To circumvent the limitations of scenario-based life cycle assessment (LCA), w ...