Jump to Main Content
- Swedlund Peter J.; Holtkamp Hannah; Song Yantao; Daughney Christopher J.
- Environmental Science & Technology 2014 v.48 no.5 pp. 2759-2765
- arsenic; equations; ferrihydrite; models; pH; sorption; spectral analysis
- ... Sorption by ferrihydrite is an important control on As(V) concentrations in many oxic aquatic systems. There are significant discrepancies in reported sorption constants (log(KAₛ)), which presents a problem for quantifying and understanding this important system. A review of reported ferrihydrite–As(V) sorption studies indicated a positive correlation between reaction time used in the experiments ...
- Hoffmann Martin; Mikutta Christian; Kretzschmar Ruben
- Environmental Science & Technology 2014 v.48 no.7 pp. 3822-3831
- X-ray absorption spectroscopy; adsorbents; adsorption; air; arsenic; arsenites; binding sites; estuaries; ferrihydrite; ligands; marshes; models; organic matter; oxidation; pH; peatlands; plants (botany); redox potential; remediation; sulfhydryl groups; water vapor
- ... Binding of arsenite (As(III)) to sulfhydryl groups (Sₒᵣg(-II)) plays a key role in As detoxification mechanisms of plants and microorganisms, As remediation techniques, and reduced environmental systems rich in natural organic matter. Here, we studied the formation of Sₒᵣg(-II)–As(III) complexes on a sulfhydryl model adsorbent (Ambersep GT74 resin) in the absence and presence of ferrihydrite as a ...