Jump to Main Content
- Vaughan, David J., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2014 v.48 no.19 pp. 11337-11342
- Geobacter sulfurreducens; X-ray absorption spectroscopy; bacteria; biotite; carcinogens; chromium; iron; models; sediments; soil
- ... Contamination of the environment with Cr as chromate (Cr(VI)) from industrial activities is of significant concern as Cr(VI) is a known carcinogen, and is mobile in the subsurface. The capacity of Fe(II)-containing phyllosilicates including biotite and chlorite to alter the speciation, and thus the mobility, of redox-sensitive contaminants including Cr(VI) is of great interest since these minerals ...
- Vaughan, David
J., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2014 v.48 no.18 pp. 10672-10680
- Shewanella oneidensis; X-ray diffraction; ambient temperature; bacteria; bioavailability; electron microscopy; energy; ferrihydrite; gamma radiation; hematite; iron; irradiation; magnetite; oxidation; radioactive waste; radionuclides; redox potential; riboflavin; siderite; spectroscopy
- ... Conservation of energy by Fe(III)-reducing species such as Shewanella oneidensis could potentially control the redox potential of environments relevant to the geological disposal of radioactive waste and radionuclide contaminated land. Such environments will be exposed to ionizing radiation so characterization of radiation alteration to the mineralogy and the resultant impact upon microbial respir ...