Jump to Main Content
- Van Tendeloo, Leen, et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2015 v.49 no.4 pp. 2358-2365
- aqueous solutions; cation exchange; cations; cement; cesium; concrete; environmental impact; hazardous waste; pH; potassium; potassium hydroxide; sodium; sorption; temperature; waste disposal
- ... To avoid impact on the environment, facilities for permanent disposal of hazardous waste adopt multibarrier design schemes. As the primary barrier very often consists of cement-based materials, two distinct aspects are essential for the selection of suitable complementary barriers: (1) selective sorption of the contaminants in the repository and (2) long-term chemical stability in hyperalkaline co ...
- Van Tendeloo, Leen, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Environmental Science & Technology 2015 v.49 no.3 pp. 1729-1737
- aqueous solutions; carbon; cation exchange; cation exchange capacity; cation exchange resins; cations; cesium; concrete; culture media; drainage water; pollutants; saline water; sorption; waste disposal; zeolites
- ... Construction of multibarrier concrete based waste disposal sites and management of alkaline mine drainage water requires cation exchangers combining excellent sorption properties with a high stability and predictable performance in hyper alkaline media. Though highly selective organic cation exchange resins have been developed for most pollutants, they can serve as a growth medium for bacterial pr ...