Jump to Main Content
- Kissinger, Benjamin C.; Bystriansky, Jason; Czehryn, Nick; Enders, Eva C.; Treberg, Jason; Reist, James D.; Whitmore, Emily; Gary Anderson, W.
- Environmental biology of fishes 2017 v.100 no.7 pp. 797-814
- Salvelinus namaycush; brackish water; coasts; enzyme activity; fish; foraging; freshwater; genetic similarity; life history; osmolality; physiology; rearing; saline water; salinity; sodium; Arctic region; Canada
- ... Fertilization and development in salmonids occurs almost exclusively within freshwater environments (< 1 ppt). A less common life history strategy in this group of fishes is the brackish-water resident life history, where entire life cycles occur in brackish water (> 1 ppt). In the present study, we tested the hypothesis that differences in rearing environment (fresh or brackish water) results in ...
- Súarez, Yzel R.; Silva, Edileia A.; Viana, Lucilene F.
- Environmental biology of fishes 2017 v.100 no.7 pp. 775-783
- Astyanax; allometry; fecundity; females; fish; floodplains; life history; males; seasonal variation; sex ratio; temperature; watersheds; wet season; Brazil; Pantanal; Paraguay River
- ... We studied the reproductive biology of Astyanax lacustris in the southern Pantanal, Brazil. A total of 382 fish were analyzed from February 2009 to January 2011. The sex ratio differed significantly from 1:1, with a larger proportion of females (χ² = 27.24; p < 0.001). Females achieve higher standard length than males (mean 72.30 mm and 56.51 mm, respectively), and possess negative allometric grow ...