Jump to Main Content
- Ohta, Itaru; Ebisawa, Akihiko
- Environmental biology of fishes 2016 v.99 no.10 pp. 741-751
- Epinephelus; demography; females; gonads; grouper; histology; islands; males; otoliths; protogyny; sex reversal; spawning; Ryukyu Archipelago
- ... The demography and sexual pattern of the white-streaked grouper, Epinephelus ongus (Serranidae), in the Yaeyama Islands, Okinawa, were examined based on age assessment using otoliths and gonadal histology. The von Bertalanffy growth parameters were estimated as follows: L∞ = 34.35 cm total length (TL); K = 0.187 yr. ⁻¹; and t₀ = − 0.975 yr. The maximum age was 20 yrs. The smallest mature female wa ...
- Kadota, Tatsuru; Sakai, Yoichi
- Environmental biology of fishes 2016 v.99 no.10 pp. 761-769
- Paracirrhites; body size; corals; females; males; mating systems; polygyny; reefs; Japan
- ... The mating system of cirrhitids is generally classified as harem polygyny. However, detailed information on the spatial distribution patterns and mating relationships is lacking in large hawkfish species. We investigated the spatial distribution patterns and mating relationships among individuals of the large hawkfish, Paracirrhites forsteri, on a Kuchierabu-jima Island reef in southern Japan. Lar ...