Jump to Main Content
- Ohta, Itaru; Ebisawa, Akihiko
- Environmental biology of fishes 2016 v.99 no.10 pp. 741-751
- Epinephelus; demography; females; gonads; grouper; histology; islands; males; otoliths; protogyny; sex reversal; spawning; Ryukyu Archipelago
- ... The demography and sexual pattern of the white-streaked grouper, Epinephelus ongus (Serranidae), in the Yaeyama Islands, Okinawa, were examined based on age assessment using otoliths and gonadal histology. The von Bertalanffy growth parameters were estimated as follows: L∞ = 34.35 cm total length (TL); K = 0.187 yr. ⁻¹; and t₀ = − 0.975 yr. The maximum age was 20 yrs. The smallest mature female wa ...
- Rice, Aaron N.; Morano, Janelle L.; Hodge, Kristin B.; Muirhead, Charles A.
- Environmental biology of fishes 2016 v.99 no.10 pp. 705-716
- Opsanus; Pogonias cromis; acoustics; coasts; conservation areas; fish; phenology; reproductive behavior; spawning; surveys; water temperature; Georgia; North Carolina
- ... Many fish species produce sounds as a part of their reproductive behavior. Using passive acoustic recording approaches, these sounds can be used to document temporal and spatial patterns of reproductive activity of fish populations. We conducted an 11-month passive acoustic survey at three different locations off the coasts of Georgia (40 km north of Grays Reef National Marine Sanctuary) and North ...